Friday, 27 July 2007

No Pain No Gain

26 July 2007 - When we began our renovation, I had the impression that we would be only meeting the ID occasionally, and visiting the site whenever it pleased us. The rest of the time would be devoted to our usual hedonistic pursuits of the good things in life.

Yesterday, Life decided to reach into the murky depths of my mind and yank that impression out by the roots.

We were informed that the basin that we had bought for the common toilet was too large. So we looked around for a suitable replacement, only to be told that delivery would not be provided for goods exchange. In other words, I had to lug the original basin from Jurong West to Jalan Besar, and the replacement back from Jalan Besar to Jurong West.

Not too difficult a task right? Well, not when the original basin weighed a ton. Ok, maybe I'm exaggerating but it certainly felt that way. In fact, I took almost 20min to traverse a distance that I would normally cover in 5min. At the end of it, my shirt was totally soaked in sweat, and my arms gave up on attempting any form of movement.

I took the entire cab ride from Jurong West to Jalan Besar to recover and almost hugged the burly shopowner when he told me that the new basin will be much lighter.

On hindsight, it's little things like this that really gets us involved in the setting up of our corner. Not that we weren't hands-off to begin with, but this was an "opportunity" to get our hands dirty and sweat it out for our flat. No pain no gain?


- Melvin

No comments: