Tuesday, 2 February 2010

Updates since 28 Jan

I love Mdm Yik's cooking! No matter how simple a meal, she can always make it so nice, haha. We went over to the Low Clan's for dinner last Thursday (28 Jan) and Mdm Yik cooked one of her best dishes - Stewed Pork Belly with Quail Eggs. Manz, it was so yummilicious that I requested to tabao some back for my next day's lunch! Anyway, she gave me the recipe to making this dish, and I can't wait to try it out after CNY!!

She always uses these 2 sauces whenever it comes to stewing meat:

1) Famous Ipoh Light Soy Sauce

IMG_9786

Apparently, this famous soy sauce from Ipoh can only be found at the wet market (Jurong West), and it is selling for $7.50 per bottle! I tasted a bit on its own, and indeed the taste is very fragrant and nice! It is not too salty, and has a nice, sweet taste to it. I really like my new Kikkoman soy sauce, but this tastes even better! Mdm Yik was kind enough to give me her remaining bottle for me to try cooking this dish, haha.

2) Dark Soy Sauce from Malaysia

IMG_9783

According to Mdm Yik, this dark soy sauce can only be found at GIANT supermarket. She likes it cos it is neither too salty nor bitter. I tasted a bit as well, and yes, it was good!! I like it! I didn't like my bottle of Tai Hua dark soy sauce cos it was too bitter. Thankfully it expired, so I bought a different dark soy sauce last Wednesday at GIANT. I was lucky I did not throw away my receipt, so I went back to GIANT on Friday after work to do an exchange for this sauce instead.

Dinner on Saturday (30 Jan)

Stewed Chicken with Dried Oysters and Mushrooms

IMG_9789

Haha, this is the advantage of the slow cooker. I put all the ingredients into the pot before noon and it was ready for consumption by the time we got home! So convenient. I love this dish. Very nice. There was a big pot leftover, so we had it for our Sunday lunch as well.


Cooking on Sunday (31 Jan)

Foil-wrapped Herbal Chicken

Before:

M10-043

Didn't know the 2 big packs of chicken can fit into 1 tier, haha.

M10-044

After:

M10-045

I quite like this dish. Didn't add "pao shen" as stated in the recipe but it tasted good anyway, lol.


Stir-fried French beans with egg

M10-046

Haha, as mentioned previously, I have a few eggs to clear before they expire, and I thought, why not add them to french beans?? Its so easy to make this dish. Just stir fry the french beans and add beaten eggs to it. I added ikan bilis powder to it. Delicious! I think I shall cook this more often. At least its a change from the usual broccoli or leafy veggies, haha.

Just 2 dishes for Sunday dinner:

M10-047

Cooking on Tuesday (2 Feb)

Steamed Red Spinach with Fishballs

IMG_9858


Steamed Potatoes with Chicken

IMG_9853


Steamed White Snapper

IMG_9861


Steamed Brown Rice

IMG_9867

The brown rice at Atrium (IBP) is really nice, so I have been trying to find something similar now that we have finished our white rice. Haha, having cooked only once a month or once in 2 months last year, we took more than 1 year to finish our rice. This year, we finished a new bag of white rice within 2 months! 80% was consumed by Kitty, cos I have been trying to transform him into a Persian cat, haha. Anyway, we bought this "Heavenly Brown Rice" from Cold Storage. Bought a 1kg packet to try out and its not bad! I like the nutty, chewy texture of the rice, haha! Its healthy too!

Our dinner on Tuesday:

IMG_9873

No comments: