Friday, 28 September 2007

Adventures in Domesticity

28 Sept 07 - Yes, we have finally done it. Hitched the knot, that is.

Together, we now officially form a family nucleus as defined by HDB. From couple to family, all it took was a piece of fancy paper and 5 signatures (count them: me, Her Royal Majesty, my father, her father, and our solemniser).

As a founding member of this freshly minted family nucleus, I am also a proud contributor to the fortunes of the hundreds of individuals gainfully employed by NTUC Fairprice. Whenever I shop there and pass by an auntie busily stocking cans of luncheon meat onto the shelves, I get a warm buzz all over knowing that in some way, I have helped to fund her latest 4D bet. Sometimes, I divert some funds to Giant or even Carrefour, but NTUC will always have a special place in my heart.

Her Royal Majesty, in particular, has taken on an even greater interest in grocery shopping. Which also means that we never fail to enter with empty hands and exit with big bags bulging with the week's food supply, plastic household wares and other miscellaneous knick knacks.

I have nothing against grocery shopping. In fact, I used to enjoy the occasional lazy stroll down the aisles after lunch at the NTUC branch near my office. It certainly beat plonking myself down at the desk and plunging into the never-ending whirl of emails.

However, grocery shopping has now evolved from a simple pasttime to a means of survival. In Jurassic times, whenever cavemen felt hungry, they went out with clubs and returned with carcasses of dead animals. Today, life is pretty much the same, except that we wield a much more lethal weapon --- credit cards. Regardless of whether one seeks dead animals, dead plants, tools, or other living and non-living things, the mighty card conquers all. Welcome to Hunting-and-Gathering 2.0, the next stage in human evolution.

Setting up a family involves much more than just food and shelter. It requires extreme self-control to stop yourself from strangling a snoring spouse, a highly advanced fashion sense to appreciate the intricate beauty of the faded tshirt and worn out shorts combo, and a highly evolved sense of smell to block out your spouse's morning breadth.

I certainly look forward to discovering every single detail of domesticity, and remember to check this space for more updates!


- Melvin

No comments: