Wednesday, 25 April 2007

Introduction

Mdm Yik: Why didn't you switch off the aircon when its not in use??! Do you know that our monthly PUB bill amounts up to at least $200++?!! Can save must save! You think that maintaining a home is very easy is it?! There are never ending bills to pay you know!"

ME (muttering to myself): Aiya she is just exaggerating...only pay for PUB bills mah... she makes it sound as if setting up a home is a chore....

I have never thought that setting up a home is easy, but neither have I thought that it would be that troublesome either. Mdm Yik was right. I was ignorant then. By the way, Mdm Yik is my mum. :)

Hb and I have been planning to get a place of our own since Nov 2005, which was when there was a balloting exercise for flats in Toa Payoh. We failed to get a unit as there were simply too many applicants and although we both felt rather disappointed, I was somewhat secretly pleased as I have always preferred living in the West. A walk-in-selection (WIS) exercise for Jurong West flats in June 2006 made me jump with joy as that meant I would be able to live in the West like I always had. Unfortunately, on the day of selection, all the units that we had shortlisted got snapped up by other applicants and being unwilling to take 2nd level units, we decided to give up. Another WIS exercise was launched in Sep 2006 for Seng Kang flats and after viewing the area and concluded it as being “a vast piece of empty land”, Hb and I decided not to apply for it. In Oct 2006, we decided to make a $10 investment by balloting for a unit at Redhill. We thought it was fun to “join in the crowd” even though we knew there wasn’t much hope of being successful. True enough, we failed, and laughed about it! We finally decided to get a resale flat even though we both preferred new ones. Just when we were about to make an offer that particular weekend, news came that there was going to be a WIS exercise! To cut the long story short, I’ll just say that we have gotten our 1st choice unit at Jurong West! Finally Lady Luck is smiling on us!

We started our search for ID firms after Chinese New Year after we got tired of friends constantly questioning us about our ID hunting progress. This “blog” will be a record of our whole renovation experience, from the beginning till the end, from how we started off searching for ID companies to the problems we encounter just to get our little corner set up.


- Phebe

No comments: